If the roof is out of guarantee then patch repair compounds are useful because they give the householder time to organise re-roofing for a competitive price at the right time of year, however, always ensure that the compound is compatible with the membrane.
We have prepared this guide for householder’s and homeowners with minimal roofing knowledge. By providing information on the design, materials, construction and maintenance of successful flat roofs; we hope it will assist you to a satisfactory completion with your roofing project.
If the roof is out of guarantee then patch repair compounds are useful because they give the householder time to organise re-roofing for a competitive price at the right time of year, however, always ensure that the compound is compatible with the membrane. But in general, such repairs are only short term and worthwhile if they are cheaper than the effective cost per year of a new roof covering. If it is still covered by a guarantee, contact your roofing contractor or you may invalidate the guarantee.
Other factors to consider in deciding whether to re-roof are:
- The type and age of the present covering (if you are a recent purchaser, try to find out from the vendor).
- The history of the roof – if all past repairs have been in the same place, complete re-roofing may not be necessary.
- If you wish to improve the insulation performance of the roof – lower heating bills will reduce the annual cost.
- If a re-roof is required, it must now include thermal insulation under Part L of the Building Regulations.
If inspection reveals the following, re-roofing is probably inevitable:
- Roof sagging between joists (or puddles getting larger) – this is a sign of condensation or roofing overloading.
- Membrane split in the line of deck boards – another sign of movement in the deck due to condensation or structural problems.
- Membrane split round perimeter – excessive movement between walls and roof.
- Roof blisters getting bigger and more widespread – a sign of leakage and/or condensation.
- Widespread slippage of upstands – materials and attachment may be inadequate to cope with movement.
- Cable clips puncturing membrane – use bonded bases to hold cables, after repairing the damaged membrane.